The Act of Hubris
CORE TRAITS AND CHARACTER GENERATION
Each character has a Virtue and a Vice, chosen by the player and usually phrased as sentences or sentence fragments. A character’s Virtue represents some ethos or ideal that character tries to live up to, while their Vice is normally a negative personality trait or bad habit.
Attributes (Power, Finesse, Resistance):
- Mental: Intelligence, Wits, Resolve
- Physical: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina
- Social: Presence, Manipulation, Composure
Attributes can be categorized as mental/physical/social or as power/finesse/resistance. A player chooses which categorization to use when selecting primary, secondary, and tertiary Attribute categories.
Each Attribute begins at 1, and costs (New Rating x 5) experience points to increase by 1. Starting characters assign have 70xp to spend on their primary category, 55xp on their secondary category, and 45xp on their tertiary category.
- Mental: Academics, Computer, Crafts, Investigation, Medicine, Occult, Politics, Science
- Physical: Athletics, Brawl, Drive, Firearms, Larceny, Stealth, Survival, Weaponry
- Social: Animal Ken, Empathy, Expression, Intimidation, Persuasion, Socialize, Streetwise, Subterfuge
- Specialties: Choose three Specialties, attaching each to a particular skill.
Each Skill begins at 0, and costs (New Rating x 3) experience points to increase by 1. Starting characters have 78xp to spend on their primary category, 48xp to spend on their secondary category, and 30xp to spend on their tertiary category.
Merits: Each Merit begins at 0 and costs (New Rating x 2) experience points to increase by 1. Starting characters have 32xp to spend on merits.
- Defense: the lower of Strength and Dexterity
- Health: Stamina + 5
- Initiative: Wits + Composure
- Intimacies: Characters may choose as many Intimacies as they have dots of Resolve.
- Morality: Characters normally start the game with Morality 4, but may begin lower if they want or higher if the storyteller allows.
- Willpower: Resolve + Composure
Experience Point Costs For Character Advancement:
- Attribute: New Dots x 5
- Skill: New Dots x 3
- Specialty: 3
- Merit: New Dots x 2 (Players must pay for every dot of a merit separately, even if a particular dot has no effect)
Retraining: With Storyteller approval, players can relinquish character traits they’ve bought for experience and spend that experience on different traits. If traits purchased at character creation are relinquished, the resulting experience must be spent on traits of the same category.